batampos – Los Angeles FC (LAFC) General Manager John Thorrington said Gareth Bale’s presence in Major League Soccer (MLS) would be an ideal preparation for him ahead of the World Cup.
Even so, the club wants Bale to stay after the Qatar World Cup.
Bale, whose contract with LaLiga champions Real Madrid expires this summer, confirmed his move to LAFC via Twitter on Saturday.
He tweeted, “See you in Los Angeles.” The 32-year-old led Wales to their first World Cup finals since 1958 earlier this month.
“That’s absolutely not for six months just for the World Cup,” Thorrington told reporters on Sunday after his side’s 2-0 win over the New York Red Bulls.
“We always talk long term.”
“Gareth was very open with us about what he wanted, we contacted him often, contacted his representatives directly.”
“We have the impression that what he wants in preparation for the World Cup and beyond is what we can offer.”
“Our and Gareth’s definition of success is the same. So we’re not going to do anything against Gareth, doing well here will be the right preparation he needs for the World Cup.”
A second transfer window in the United States opens on July 7 and Thorrington hopes Bale can make his debut against the LA Galaxy a day later.
“We still have to go through immigration, paperwork, stuff like that,” Thorrington said.
“But we hope in the next week to the next 10 days we can get it done. The first game he could potentially play is ours on July 8th.” (*)